How to come up with a name for a new product or business (and some funny examples of bad business names!)
To put a smile on your face, here are a few examples of bad business names! Well, some may be ok in their language, but sound funny in English!
Have you ever had to come up with a name for a new business or product? If you have, you know it’s not an easy thing.
There aren’t really any rules when it comes to business or product names, but there are some things to think about that will make it easier. Whether you are setting up a new business or are developing a new product, you’ll have it for a while (hopefully)…
Here are some tips to help you come up with a good name:
• Make sure the name is simple, easy to pronounce, memorable and easy to spell.
• Research the web, the companies websites etc. to ensure the name isn’t already taken
• Ensure the domain name you want is available (and relates to your name – preferably the same word as your name so it’s easy to find online)
• Ensure it’s different from your competition
• If you’re considering trademarking the name, ensure someone else hasn’t already done so
• Stay away from negative connotations
• Make sure the name doesn’t mean something negative or inappropriate in other languages
• Don’t restrict your name too much (with the eye on future growth) or limit yourself to a place name (in case you move!)
Ideas on how to generate names:
• Brainstorm words that relate to the product / service
• Words that relate to the benefits for the customer
• Words that relate to the values/quality of the company and products
• Words related to colours, animals, plants, your industry, your types of customers etc.
• Use a thesaurus to look up related names/words
• Consider combining words
• Ensure your name is meaningful rather than too generic
• Use adjectives
• Use humour
• Does it evoke emotion?
A little plug for the 2016 Marketing for Success Programme, starting in April. Don't miss it if you want to bring your business to the next level! Click here for more info!
Till next week, Marijke
Marijke Dunselman. Click here to read more about us!